P. Dwight gave an awesome sermon awhile ago about 3 questions we should be asking ourselves each day:
- Who is God?
- Who am I, in relation to God?
- Who are the people around me, of course, in relation to God?
Coooool questions. Hahaha. Think about it. In any given situation or moment in life we are living w/ a set of answers to these 3 questions. Now we have 2 choices: interpret our reality through the answers that God gives us OR we can interpret our reality through our own answers, reasonings, conceptions…
Imagine you’re having the perfect day. Everything is working towards your favor. You get all the green lights, professor cancelled class, you win a raffle-drawing for a new iPad. You’re enjoying yourself and your life. In that very moment, what are your answers to those 3 questions. It’s probably something like this…
- God is good! Tweet PTL! Hey, He must surely be blessing me for something good I did, right?
- I am loved by God.
- People are such blessings/encouragements in my life. What could I do without you guys?!
Now, imagine your worst day. Nothing is going in your favor. You get all the red lights on your way to school, your professor spontaneously announces a pop quiz, which you end up failing, and you lose your brand new iPad. You’re hating yourself and your life. In that very moment, what are your 3 answers? Maybe a ‘lil some-something like this…
- God is so far away and doesn’t care about me.
- I am a failure and probably worse than nothing. Tweet FML.
- Why are people so annoying? GO AWAY, you.
I guess what I’m trying to get at is that the scriptures reveal that despite the situation we find ourselves in, the answers to these 3 questions should always be…
- God is for me and never against me and he is working all things out for his glory and my good. (Romans 8:28)
- I am a sinner saved by grace more sinful and harmful than I can ever imagine BUT, in Christ, more loved than I ever dared hoped for. The gospel, anyone? (Ephesians 2:8; Tim Keller quote)
- People are fellow image-bearers. We are all struggling in the same mess of sin and its devastation as I am, none better and none worse than me apart from the grace of God. (Genesis 1:26-27, Colossians 3:1-17)
Not before long will you recognize that your answers are a lot more governed by your own construction of God than informed by God himself. Today and each new day, you’ll experience either good or bad situations guaranteed. Some days, you’ll get all the green lights and others, all red. How will you answer these questions in those moments? In that moment of sadness, depression, anger, pride, road-rage, happiness, etc, what will you believe about God, yourself, and others? Take a step back, breathe, shake it off, then act, according to his will. Be shaped and molded by the word alone.